12.3 million people in the UK have a criminal record. It has long been established that securing sustainable employment significantly reduces the likelihood of reoffending, but our criminal record disclosure system is complicated and causes real barriers to employment.
It is vital that frontline staff correctly advise their clients about their rights and responsibilities to disclose. Helping people with criminal records to prepare to disclose in a positive and reassuring way can significantly increase their chances of securing employment; but failing to disclose an unspent conviction when asked is a criminal offence, which can lead to disciplinary proceedings and dismissal.
Our short course will enable learners to apply their knowledge to signpost, give advice and support people with criminal records to apply for education, training and employment opportunities.
It covers disclosure legislation, DBS eligibility and how to support clients to prepare to disclose in a way that increases their chances of securing the opportunities they seek.
Who is the course for?
We have designed this course for the following:
- Employment and education advisers
- Primary and Secondary health organisations that support people to find or maintain employment
- Careers advisers
- Probation staff
- Anybody who supports people with criminal records into education, training, and employment.
We have almost twenty years’ experience of delivering criminal record disclosure training. Our experienced trainers have developed this e-learning module to offer a more cost-effective option for organisations with time and budget constraints.
This online course is one module, split into four sections. The content is interactive with knowledge checks and includes useful resources that can be downloaded for use beyond the course.
The module covers:
- Applying the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act to determine when convictions become spent
- Understanding exceptions to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and the eligibility of DBS (criminal record) checks
- How to support your clients to prepare a positive disclosure
- Supporting your clients to decide if and when to make a disclosure
- Takes approximately 45 minutes to complete
- Is SCORM-compliant and can be uploaded to your internal learning management system
- Can be accessed on a mobile, tablet, laptop or desktop
- Is highly interactive, allowing users to apply learning through a range of activities
- Includes a printable resource pack to use with clients
- Will be updated in line with changes to legislation for no additional charge
Costs and booking information
For a quote and to book for your organisation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org