Veterans who have been involved in either the military or criminal justice systems can face significant and complex barriers whilst in either system and (or) in the transition to civilian life.
Many are reluctant to disclose their service career for a variety of reasons, yet having access to specialist and tailored support can be pivotal to their chances of a positive transition and resettlement, and in effect, contribute to a reduction in risk of further offending.
Using real case-studies, this interactive training programme offers insight into the journey of veterans through the different justice systems, the unique experiences and challenges they face and the wide range of support available to them.
Who is this course for?
We have designed this course for the following:
- Individuals provides services and support to members of the armed forces community
- Professionals working with former members of the armed services who are, or have been in the military of criminal justice systems
Your trainer, Benoit Firmin, has extensive experience of working with, and supporting, military veterans in both the criminal and military justice systems.
Using his knowledge of the wider barriers faced by this client-group and those supporting them, he has also developed and delivered a range of veterans-focused training and awareness workshops to specialist practitioners, staff in prison and military detention and probation teams in the community.
The overarching aim of this programme is to help you feel more confident about supporting veterans in the criminal justice system. We can tailor the course to your specific needs, but a ‘typical’ programme would include:
- Veterans in the criminal justice system
- Veterans’ experiences, challenges, and needs whilst in the service and criminal justice systems
- Understanding the differences between military and criminal convictions
- The impact of military and/or criminal records on accessing jobs, training and insurance
- How to support veterans with criminal record disclosure, with a specific focus on gaining employment
- Post-Sentence, transition, and effective resettlement
This programme is currently available as an online workshop.
Costs and booking information
For further information, or to register your interest, please email email@example.com.