Looking After Your Home | Housing Services | Nacro
illustration of housing new home

Looking After Your Home

Mould and Condensation

Its important you look after your home, for yourself and for future tenants. Issues like mould and condensation can be easily prevented but if not dealt with can have an impact on your health. Below are some tips on keeping your home safe and in good condition.

Condensation occurs where moist air comes into contact with air, or a surface, which is at a lower temperature. Condensation is generally noticeable where it forms on non-absorbent surfaces such as windows or tiles. However, it can form on any surface and it may not be noticed until mould starts to grow or the material begins to rot.

Mould is a fungus which will grow on any damp surfaces such as plaster, wallpaper and timber. It often occurs when there are problems with condensation or when leaks to roofs or water pipes are left unattended. There are different types of mould which can be of various colours (e.g. green, yellow, pink, black, grey or white) and they usually have a musty and damp smell. Mould can aggravate health conditions such as asthma and other respiratory conditions so it is important than you prevent it occurring in your accommodation.

  • Report any water leaks such as those to the roof or pipes within your accommodation.
  • After a bath or shower ventilate the room by closing the bathroom door and opening a window to allow moisture out.
  • Dry clothes out of doors if possible. If not, dry them in a cool area of your accommodation. Although it will take them a little longer to dry, there will be less moisture in the room at any one time.
  • While drying clothes indoors, ventilate the room by opening a window.
  • Hang wet coats outside the living area to dry.
  • Try to keep rooms well ventilated at all times. If extractor fans are installed check whether they are switched on.
  • If condensation appears on windows, use a dry cloth to remove it. This will reduce the risk of mould growth.

If you find mould in your accommodation, treat it with an anti-fungal wash or spray. If the problem persists or returns, report it to your Nacro support worker who will arrange for the mould to be removed and the surface treated. We will also arrange for any water leaks to be repaired and, where necessary, any affected areas to be redecorated.

Play video
screen grab of accomodation for prison leavers video

Video: Accommodation for prison leavers

This video shares tips and tricks for how to manage your tenancy in a Nacro property.

Home Contents Insurance

Home contents insurance protects your belongings against events such as fire, theft or water damage. If you don’t have contents insurance you may not be able to replace your belongings if they are stolen or damaged.

Nacro holds buildings insurance which covers the costs of damage to the structure of the house or flat – but this does not cover tenants’ personal belongings.

If, for example,  you have a burst pipe which damages ceilings, walls, furniture, clothes or electrical equipment,  Nacro’s buildings insurance policy would cover the damage to the building itself  – such as the ceilings and walls – but not the damage to your furniture, clothes or electrical equipment. You need your own home contents insurance policy to cover this.

If you are not a Nacro tenant you should check with your landlord with regards the type and level of insurance on the property and whether or not this extends to contents.  For example if you live in a furnished property then some of the contents may already be insured.

Our staff can help tenants obtain home contents insurance easily and at a price that is affordable. Money Advice Service website can help.

If you are struggling to secure insurance because of your criminal record, please see here, or contact Nacro’s Resettlement Advice Service on 0300 123 1999 or helpline@nacro.org.uk.

illustration of tools

For repairs, you can contact the Maintenance Helpdesk

Monday to Friday 10am-4pm 01332 203118 or maintenance.helpdesk@nacro.org.uk

Alternatively, you can report your repair to your support worker or another member of the housing staff team who will pass your request onto the maintenance helpdesk.