Adaptations policy | Nacro

Adaptations policy

Adapting to your needs

When you apply for one of our homes or are referred to our services, we will ask you if you have any needs we need to accommodate.

It is important that we know and understand all your housing related needs, not only support needs before you move into one of our homes.  This can be anything, for example: –

  • Easy read information
  • Audio documents or large print
  • Grip rails or raised/lowered surfaces.
  • Easy turn door handles
  • Assistance pet

Your needs must have been assessed by an Occupational Therapist to ensure that any adaptations meet your need. If you think you have needs and you have not been assessed by an Occupational Therapist, we may refer you to one.

Anything you tell us before you move in will be treated in confidence and will help us make sure you are able to move into the right property that meets your housing and support needs.

Local authorities are usually responsible for home adaptations. Each local authority will have a team for home adaptations and assessments.

How they work will vary, from how long you will have to wait to how much funding is available.

You must inform Nacro as soon as possible that your circumstances have changed, and you may need an adaptation.

You must not proceed until you have permission from Nacro.

If you think you are eligible for an adaptation the first step for applying for home adaptations is to get an assessment from your local authority. Your Nacro worker can support you to access this.

Either you or your Occupational Therapist can approach Nacro and ask for permission to carry out work. Your Nacro worker can help you to do this.

Wherever possible, Nacro will agree to the changes. They can withhold permission if there is a valid reason for doing so, but they will not do this without careful consideration.

If you wish to see our Adaptations Policy please ask a member of staff or download our easy read guide.

If you want to know more or wish to request an adaptation please talk to your support worker or housing worker or download this form.