Who we are
At Nacro, the crime reduction charity, we are dedicated to reducing crime and reoffending in communities across England and Wales. We design and deliver programmes that equip people with the skills, advice, attitude and support they need to move their lives on and move away from crime.
Our services include:
- Housing: we help offenders to find somewhere to live and to develop independent living skills, helping them to foster the know-how and stability they need to bring about lasting change in their lives.
- Education and training: we provide pre-vocational and vocational programmes, problem-solving courses and employment preparation programmes for people who are stuck and can’t see a way forward. We are also a provider of the government’s Study Programme.
- Substance misuse: our services combine a dual focus on the individual and the community, offering interventions to people so they can not only recover from drug or alcohol dependence but also start to contribute actively and positively to the community.
- Offender management: we work with offenders in the courts, in prisons and in the community, managing the offender journey in a way designed to minimise the risk of reoffending.
- A dedicated national helpline and online service providing advice and support on resettlement matters to offenders, their families and practitioners such as finding somewhere to live, getting a job and dealing with the disclosure of a criminal record.
- Working with employers, helping them to recruit safely, assess risk and manage the recruitment and retention of staff with criminal convictions.
We also use our knowledge of what works to reduce crime to help inform policy and shape practice. In line with this, we work closely with government and public and private sector partners, using our experience on the ground to establish and pilot the best ways of reducing crime in local neighbourhoods.
Nacro is also a regular contributor to government consultations and important debates on key subjects in the criminal justice sector.