Housing and wellbeing
Nacro saved my life.
Nacro Housing services provides accommodation, support and wellbeing and community outreach services along with Matrix-accredited information, advice and guidance across England and Wales. We use innovative approaches and service user engagement to model our services and our staff are trained in the Design Council approach.
This helps a wide range of people to change their lives, build their resilience and reach their aspirations.
We also provide a range of interventions to support service users into the private rented sector, including accommodation, via a national lettings agency. We help those who are most in need, and hardest to engage, to find and/or maintain accommodation. We offer them the opportunity to feel secure, and encourage them to be independent and achieve their life goals.
Our support and wellbeing service includes helping people to develop skills, to participate in meaningful activity and employment, to take responsibility for their overall health and relationships with people, and to be active members of communities. We refer service users to our high quality education services. We are also developing our digital offer so that any Nacro service user can gain advice on securing and sustaining their housing. Although we can’t meet the needs of all our service users we can ensure they have the right advice and guidance.
We are an experienced prime contractor that delivers complex services for commissioners and offers sub-contractors a collaborative approach to partnership. See our thinking on better commissioning in the current climate.
Safety is fundamental to our work. The Director of Housing and Wellbeing leads our national safeguarding strategy and we take the health and safety of residents in their homes very seriously. See our health and safety compliance at Housing and Education centres.
Who we work with
- young people including care leavers
- teenage parents
- families including those on the Troubled Families programme
- women – Nacro is a partner of UK Says No More
- people who are homeless – Nacro works with social investor Resonance to help local authorities reduce the pressures on their temporary accommodation
- people with mental health issues
- people with substance misuse issues
- people with dual diagnosis
- people with complex and multiple needs
- people who have been through the criminal justice system
- veterans – see our latest project – Nacro has signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant
Our policy work
Nacro works to influence change to reduce the significant barriers that some of our service users face in accessing and maintaining housing, in achieving their aspirations and in being self reliant, connected members of communities. Major areas of interest for us at the moment include:
- homelessness and solutions to support local authorities with the Homelessness Reduction Act
- housing for young people and others caught in the poverty trap
- housing to improve health and offending outcomes
Contact Rachel Annison to join up on our policy and influencing work.