Condensation and mould

What is condensation?
Condensation occurs where moist air comes into contact with air, or a surface, which is at a lower temperature. Condensation is generally noticeable where it forms on non-absorbent surfaces such as windows or tiles. However, it can form on any surface and it may not be noticed until mould starts to grow or the material begins to rot.

What is mould?
Mould is a fungus which will grow on any damp surfaces such as plaster, wallpaper and timber. It often occurs when there are problems with condensation or when leaks to roofs or water pipes are left unattended. There are different types of mould which can be of various colours (e.g. green, yellow, pink, black, grey or white) and they usually have a musty and damp smell. Mould can aggravate health conditions such as asthma and other respiratory conditions so it is important than you prevent it occurring in your accommodation.

Preventing condensation and mould

  • Report any water leaks such as those to the roof or pipes within your accommodation.
  • After a bath or shower ventilate the room by closing the bathroom door and opening a window to allow moisture out.
  • Dry clothes out of doors if possible. If not, dry them in a cool area of your accommodation. Although it will take them a little longer to dry, there will be less moisture in the room at any one time.
  • While drying clothes indoors, ventilate the room by opening a window.
  • Hang wet coats outside the living area to dry.
  • Try to keep rooms well ventilated at all times. If extractor fans are installed check whether they are switched on.
  • If condensation appears on windows, use a dry cloth to remove it. This will reduce the risk of mould growth.

What to do if you find mould
If you find mould in your accommodation, treat it with an anti-fungal wash or spray. If the problem persists or returns, report it to your Nacro support worker who will arrange for the mould to be removed and the surface treated. We will also arrange for any water leaks to be repaired and, where necessary, any affected areas to be redecorated.

Home Contents Insurance

Do I need Home Contents Insurance?

Home contents insurance protects your belongings against events such as fire, theft or water damage. If you don’t have contents insurance you may not be able to replace your belongings if they are stolen or damaged.

Nacro holds buildings insurance which covers the costs of damage to the structure of the house or flat – but this does not cover tenants’ personal belongings.

What does this mean?

If, for example,  you have a burst pipe which damages ceilings, walls, furniture, clothes or electrical equipment,  Nacro’s buildings insurance policy would cover the damage to the building itself  – such as the ceilings and walls – but not the damage to your furniture, clothes or electrical equipment. You need your own home contents insurance policy to cover this.

If you are not a Nacro tenant you should check with your landlord with regards the type and level of insurance on the property and whether or not this extends to contents.  For example if you live in a furnished property then some of the contents may already be insured.

How can I get cover?

Our staff can help tenants obtain home contents insurance easily and at a price that is affordable. Money Advice Service website can help.

If you are struggling to secure insurance because of your criminal record, please see here, or contact Nacro’s Resettlement Advice Service on 0300 123 1999 or

Anti Social Behaviour (ASB)

We want our tenants and their neighbours to live safely and comfortably in their homes without fear.

What is ASB?

ASB is behaviour that causes (or is capable of causing) harassment, alarm or distress to others. This may be one or a combination of some of the following:

  • Excessive noise nuisance
  • Verbal abuse
  • Hate related incidents
  • Vandalism and damage
  • Dogs barking inside or outside the property
  • Drug and substance misuse
  • Alcohol related nuisance
  • Domestic abuse
  • Physical violence
  • Prostitution / sexual acts
  • Harassment
  • Intimidation
  • Threatening behaviour
  • Misuse of communal areas

We will not treat matters relating to residents going about their normal everyday activities as ASB, unless it is a breach of their tenancy agreement. Examples of issues which may upset or disturb people but which cannot be dealt with as ASB are:

  • Flushing toilets
  • Cooking smells
  • People smoking in their own home
  • People talking at normal volume in their home
  • Washing machines or other household appliances
  • Babies crying or playing
  • Children playing or arguing
  • Riding skateboards or bikes
  • People being inconsiderate or thoughtless
  • People looking or staring
  • Cats straying into other garden

ASB can put a tremendous amount of strain on people and, if left unchecked, can ruin communities. There are a whole range of laws governing anti-social behaviour, which can lead to legal action being taken against the perpetrator(s).

Your tenancy agreement will outline your responsibilities in relation to ASB and if  you allow or cause nuisance or harassment, this could lead us to re-consider your tenancy. This could result in repossession proceedings, which may mean you will lose your home. You are also responsible for the behaviour of other occupants and visitors to your property and therefore you must not allow them to cause nuisance, harassment or annoyance to other residents or the community.

Respect for each other and for the areas in which you live promote strong and prosperous communities.

What to do if you are experiencing ASB

If possible try to approach the offending party and explain that their behaviour is inappropriate.  Most people will be glad to do what they can to change their behaviour, informally.  However, please approach the matter carefully if you think they might react angrily to a complaint.

Alternatively please report any incidents to your housing officer, support worker or if you’re not a Nacro tenant, your landlord.

If you are a Nacro tenant, all reports of ASB will be treated with confidence and handled with discretion and sensitivity. You can report anonymously, but this may limit our ability to investigate and deal with the issues you report.

It is a good idea to keep a simple ‘diary’ of the ASB with dates, times and details of the problems as this may help any future investigation.

If the situation gets worse then please report it to the Police on the non-emergency 101 number.

For more information on reporting ASB, see here.